Monday, March 31, 2014

Cardio for the Anti-Runner

I used to HATE running. I couldn't fathom why people would run track or cross country in high school. In college, I had friends who would go out running on sidewalks, treadmills, and trails and I really just didn't understand the appeal of people putting on shorts and tennis shoes to weary their legs over a number of miles and for what? Granted, I eventually started buying into the importance of cardio and the health benefits that come from running but, to this day, I prefer running on a treadmill (I like being able to see how far I'm going, how many calories I'm burning, and how fast I'm going at any time) and I can only run outside when running a 5k or some event like that and then it's more for the "free" t-shirt and competition rather than the actual running. 

- Side note: I did run the Disneyland Neverland 5k (the Tinkerbell Half Marathon was sold out) and if there is one place that I LOVE running outside it's Disneyland. If I ever do a marathon, it will be at/through a Disney Park and I will love every sweaty second of it. - 

Once I realized the benefits of running, I started running a mile or two on a treadmill a few times a week. All I would do is get on the machine, set it at a speed and run until my miles were up. Problem was, I wasn't seeing results. Yeah, I could run for a while but I didn't see myself losing weight, losing inches, losing anything. The only thing that I lost was the time that I spent doing result-less cardio in the gym. I kept at it for about three years and then I started hearing this hype about interval training. Intervals claimed to have "better results in a shorter time" and I'd "burn fat faster." I figured I'd give it a try and I was cautious at first because I don't tend to buy into quick fixes but I did like the idea of spending less time on a treadmill. I started with a Fat Burning Run (http://pinteresttrainer.blogspot.com/2014/02/fat-burning-run.html) and it worked! I replaced my 3 miles on a treadmill with a 20 minute, 1.8-ish mile run and I burned more calories and could see results on the scale and tape measure. 

Now, I'll be honest. There are some days where it's cardio time and I do not feel like running. Just because someone is able to run, doesn't mean they love it. Somedays I still hate it. On those days, I use this:

The Treadmill Shredmill Workout


There are three non-consecutive minutes where you are running (you can do that :-) but the rest of this workout mostly stays below 4.0 mph. Originally, as I am with most workouts, I was skeptical. But I finished this workout the first time and this is what my treadmill told me:


Four hundred twenty calories?!? And virtually no running?? This is great!!! The reason that this works so well is that, even though you aren't walking very fast, you're walking up some sweet inclines, burning calories, fat, and working your booty. :-) I've done this workout a few times now and I am dripping sweat afterwards every time. My husband hates running more than I do and I'm trying to get him to try this (I'll let you know if that ever happens haha). I decided to take out my Wednesday rest day and replace it with this treadmill shredder and it's great because it's mostly a walk so I can still do a run the next day and my legs don't feel like jello.

 It makes you sweat but it doesn't make you run!

Pinterest WIN ;-)

1 comment:

  1. Bravo! I'm going to have to use this one... got any good ones for those... hem-hem... woman days?

    I would totally do a Disney Marathon with you! I think we could rope Jess into doing it too. If she isn't preggers at the time, that is.

    :)

    ReplyDelete